Boston College Law School
JD, 1997, magna cum laude
Notes & Comments Editor, Boston College Law Review
College of the Holy Cross
Honorable Jonathan Steinberg, US Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
"a deeply committed attorney who drew particular praise for his understanding of the commercial challenges that his clients face"
Mr. Naughton is co-chair of the firm’s Business & Technology Group.
Mr. Naughton has been listed in the Legal 500 as a leading attorney on the East Coast for mergers and acquisitions work, as well as in Chambers USA on multiple occasions as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate law and mergers and acquisitions. Irish America magazine selected him for their "Top Legal 100," a list of the most influential Irish-Americans in the legal profession. Mr. Naughton also has been listed as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer on multiple occasions.
Business & Technology: represents growth-oriented companies ranging from start-up stage to global public companies in a wide range of industries. He counsels these companies in connection with initial formation, financings, licensing and strategic partnerships, acquisitions, and corporate governance. A significant portion of his work in this area involves cross-border transactions.
Mergers & Acquisitions: national and international mergers and acquisitions on behalf of both strategic and financial entities, including mergers, acquisitions, sales and leveraged buyouts.
Cross-Border: regularly counsels UK, Irish, Canadian, and other non-US companies and investment firms in connection with activities in the US, including acquisitions, financings, licenses and strategic partnerships.
Private Equity: representation of private equity and venture capital funds in connection with their investment activities, including minority and growth equity investments, acquisitions, recapitalizations and dispositions.
- Representation of numerous companies in seed, Series A and successive rounds of venture capital and growth equity financings.
- Representation of leading private equity firm in acquisition and disposition of multiple portfolio companies in consumer retail industry.
- Representation of European-based software company in acquisition of technology from Microsoft IP Ventures.
- Representation of leading venture capital firm in financing of healthcare IT company.
- Representation of venture capital-backed company in license transaction with Fortune 200 financial services company.
- Representation of portfolio company of UK-based private equity firm in acquisition of US company to launch operations in the US.
- Representation of digital media company in formation and multiple rounds of financings to fund growth of operations in China.
- Representation of founder-owned digital asset management company in sale to leading private equity firm.
- Representation of European-based venture capital-backed company in reorganization into Delaware corporation and related round of venture capital financing.
- Representation of leading US venture capital firm in financing of Canadian-based e-commerce company.
- Representation of software company in sale to Nasdaq-listed company.
- Representation of publicly-traded company in connection with strategic partnership with Fortune 500 company.
Publications and Presentations
- "What Technology Companies Need to Know About Navigating the U.S. Legal System,” presenter, Launch In US Alliance, December 2011.
- “Key Issues in Complex M&A,” panelist, Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Chapter, December 2011
- “Challenges and Opportunities in Seeking Funding from U.S. VCs,” presenter, Swissnex Boston, June 2011.
- “Mini Seedcamp New York,” mentor, Seedcamp, New York, June 2011.
- “Obtaining U.S. Venture Capital in the New Paradigm,” author, AccountAbility Way, October 2010.
- "Crossing the Border: Key Legal Considerations in Acquiring a U.S.-based Company," co-author, Enterprise Ireland, February 2010.
- “How to Hit a Homer with a VC,” co-author, Business & Finance, January 2010.
- “Startups Learn to Stretch their Finances,” quoted, Mass High Tech, December 2009.
- “Drafting Commercial Documents – Equity Financing Agreements,” presenter, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
- “Acquiring Technology Companies – Key Legal Considerations,” presenter, International Acquisitions Conference, Dublin, Ireland, September 2007.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Naughton is a member of the Boston Bar Association and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Naughton is one of three co-founders of the Holy Cross Emerging Technologies Group, an alumni affinity group of the College of the Holy Cross.